It all began in 1847. ‘Gabriel, Wade & English’ was formed and imported timber into the busy port of Wisbech, Cambridgeshire. The port is still used to import timber today, and English Brothers (as the company later became known) is still in Wisbech.
Back then, the company’s main interests were the importation and preservation of timber, much of it being used to line the banks of the River Thames and for railway sleepers – the latter being a growth sector in its day.
The business changed organically as time passed and during the early 1900’s began to focus on specialist timber engineering and innovation. The East Anglian location provided a solid market for agricultural buildings and stores, and this is where the English Brothers of today was born.
Surviving two World Wars, numerous recessions and take-overs from construction multi-nationals the company has seen it all – and dealt with it all.